Monday, February 23, 2009

Raising Awareness of PPHN

When my son was born, he suffered from a rare but life-threatening disease called Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension of the Newborn (PPHN). He was three days old before it looked like he was going to pull through, and he was in the hospital for almost two and half weeks before I was able to bring him home.

During his time in hospital, it was very frustrating for me to try and explain what was wrong with him to other people, because I didn't understand it very well myself, and there was so little in the way of useful information available on the Internet, which really surprised me. No one had heard of PPHN and they didn't really understand how sick my son really was.

I finally decided that I needed to put some resources together to help other parents coping with the same illness, so I wrote an article and recently put together a Squidoo lens where others can also add resources that they know of. Hopefully, these sources will make it that tiny bit easier for parents with newborns suffering from PPHN to understand what is happening to their babies.

No comments: